Wednesday, April 1, 2015

WHAT IS YOUR AVERAGE?: How Others Influence You

When I moved to Arizona at the age of 22 and knew no one, I accepted anyone as a friend.  I felt like ANY friend was better than none. While it worked for me through most of my twenties, I definitely don't see it that way now. I value my time now more than ever and hate "wasting" it on anyone that doesn't add value to my life.

Do you have anyone in your life that is a "life sucker"?  No matter what they do, they seem to suck the life out of you. They are draining.  They don't add value. They are never happy. They bring you down.

Let me give you a little advice...get rid of those people in your life!  I don't necessarily mean to never talk to them again because YOU could be the only light they see.  What I do mean is to make sure your time with them is limited. Spend MOST of your time with people that you aspire to be like....people you admire...people you can learn and grow from.

How do you do you find these people?  Well, you seek out people that have qualities you admire and would like to have more of.  When I became a new mom, I looked for other moms that I admired and starting talking with them through social media, phone calls, texts, whatever way I could to learn from them.  When I fell in love with helping others with their health and fitness, I started following people I found to be inspirational and that had bodies I wanted.  When I fell in love with the Beachbody business, I started following other successful coaches and reaching out to them for advice. When I meet other women at social gatherings that I feel an instant connection to and feel they have a special "it" factor I enjoy being around, I make sure to connect with them via social media or get their phone number and stay in contact.

Where do you look for people to connect with?

So, recently, I noticed on the side of my Facebook page my "Top 9".  It was really eye opening to see the 9 people there. They are women I admire for one reason or another and are women I aspire to be like in some way.  Now go ahead and take a look at your TOP 9.  Who are these people?  Do they add value or stress to your life?  Do they make you want to be a better person?  If not, you should consider finding some new people for your TOP 9.

Jim Rohn, one of my favorite personal development mentors explains this well --- "You are the Average of the five people you spend the most time with."  WOW!  That really puts things into perspective.  So, ask yourself, WHAT IS YOUR AVERAGE?

There's a saying my mom taught me growing up  -- "Always date up." I think we should apply this to our friendships as well --- "Always friend up."

Are you surrounding yourself with the right people?  Are YOU the type of person others should want to surround themselves with?


Let It Shine,
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog