Wednesday, October 8, 2014

INVEST IN YOURSELF...NOT THINGS!



I'm guilty. 

The thought of purchasing a gym membership, workout program, vitamins, Shakeology, organic groceries, workout shoes, etc.....I used to think "that's SO expensive!". 

The sad thing is, I've spent $250 on a handbag and barely gave it a second thought. I've bought $100 boots and justified it because I needed another pair of black boots to compliment the collection I already have. Hubs and I have gone out to dinner so many times and spent over $50 for ONE meal.  ONE MEAL. I used to get mani/pedis every other week and felt that was just part of life. Sounds like first world problems, doesn't it? I don't say this stuff because I'm proud of spending money on these things. I'm actually ashamed at how I frivolously WASTED money....and don't get me started on my college days and alcohol.

When we talk about the things that really matter, like our health, why are we so hesitant to invest our money and time?

Over the last year, I've drastically changed my priorities. I'd say most of that has to do with owning a house and becoming a parent but thank the Lord for the reality check. If only I could have all the money back I wasted on things that really don't matter.  If only I could get back the time I spent doing things that didn't better my life in any way..  


Don't get me wrong.  I like the finer things in life. I like to treat myself to nice dinners, fashionable clothes, pampering myself, and buying things I don't "need".  However, I am much more hesitant to spend my money on these things now.  Why?  Because my health is a priority now.  I'd rather invest my money in things that will make me FEEL healthy and better my life instead of investing in temporary things that don't last. I want to set an example for my son, family, friends, and all the strangers I connect with.  

People reach out to me regularly asking for help with their health and fitness and they are so quick to ask "How much will it cost?" and then follow up with "I can't justify spending that much money on that" when in all reality, it isn't expensive to begin with.  I'm not here to judge how others spend their money.  I don't know your finances.  BUT If your health is a priority, I PROMISE you that I can show you ways to cut back on frivolous spending so you can afford to be healthy. I started my health & fitness journey when I was on maternity leave not making $1. I got creative by selling some unwanted items on an online yard sale.  Then I really took the time to assess our family spending and saw so many places where we should cut back...ie: Starbucks, eating out, cable, etc. 

What are YOUR priorities? Do you second guess investing in yourself when you're quick to spend your money on other things that are so temporary?


What is one thing you can cut back on today to help save money for more important things that will have a long lasting impact on your life?

XO
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog